Victorians are being ripped off by dodgy con men offering cheap deals valid for 'today only'.
Jobs such as painting, roof repairs and sealing driveways are common tasks they offer at a cheap rate, often putting the resident under pressure to say yes.
Travelling con men frequently disappear and leave the job unfinished or of a poor standard.
If you suspect travelling con men in your area, call the national hotline: 1300 133 408.
What should I look out for?
Be suspicious of people who:
- knock on your door unexpectedly
- offer cheap deals using words like 'for today only'
- ask for cash up front
- offer to drive you to the bank to get money for payment
- make you feel pressured to accept their offer.
Protect yourself and your community
- If you suspect a travelling con man is knocking, don’t open your door.
- If you do speak to them, ask them to leave. If they refuse, they’re breaking the law.
- To discourage travelling con men from knocking on your door, you can display a Do not knock sticker prominently on your property. For more information, visit the Get the sticker page on the Do not knock website.
- Record as much information as you can, such as their name and vehicle registration, and report them.
- Don’t be tempted by unexpected cheap deals – they may be much more expensive in the long run.
If you decide you need work done on your house, you should:
- shop around for the quote that is right for you
- only use established tradespeople who provide written quotes
- ask for contact details of previous clients for references
- do not sign any agreement until you are ready.
Help to warn others
Every summer travelling con men pass through Victoria. Help us warn your community about these dodgy dealers.
How you can help
You can speak to your family and neighbours, tweet using the hashtag #stopconmen, include an article or embed a video or audio track on your website, mention the campaign in your newsletter or put up posters. Whichever works for you.
Report travelling con men
Call the national hotline: 1300 133 408, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, Daylight Saving Time, Monday to Friday (except public holidays).
Tweet using the hashtag #stopconmen.
Last updated: 27/03/2013