On this page:
Understanding the danger
Video transcript: curtain and blind cord safety kit advertisement (Word, 23KB)
Young children can strangle themselves with looped curtain and blind cords. At least 15 young children have died as a result in Australia since the early 1990s, including two in Victoria in August and September 2009.
Why are loose cords dangerous?
A child can place the loop over their head and/or get tangled in loose cords when they are:
- in a cot or bed where cords are hanging
- playing near cords, or
- standing on a chair, sofa or bed to look out of a window.
Free safety kit
How will the safety kit help?
The safety kit contains a device that tensions looped cords to a window frame so they are no longer loose, reducing the likelihood of strangulation.
What is in the safety kit?
The safety kit contains five plastic devices with screws and instructions. To install the device:
- Pull the cord through the device
- Pull the device down until the cord is tight
- Screw the device into the window frame.
- Use one device and one screw for each cord.
- If you are unsure about any aspect of the installation of the kit, consult a registered tradesperson.
- The device in this safety kit is only suitable if you have roller blinds with looped cords and wooden window frames. For other types of blinds, curtains and frames, please purchase suitable safety devices from your local curtain and blind retailer or hardware store.
Order a free safety kit
Order a free safety kit to make looped curtain and blind cords safer in your home. Order through our online order form or call 1300 55 81 81. Stocks are limited.
Help to warn others
Tell your friends and family to request a free safety kit: it’s easy and free.
- Give students a free safety kit order form to take home – request more copies of the order form from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include an article about unsafe curtain and blind cords in your parent bulletin, newsletter or website – example curtain and blind article for schools (Word, 21KB).
Businesses and organisations
- Remind your customers/members to fix blind and curtain cords so they are out of reach of children.
- Give your customers/members order forms for the safety kit - request free hardcopy order forms from email@example.com
- Spread the word through your organisation’s:
Last updated: 20/05/2013