Small owner-operators (exempt sex work service providers)

Learn how to register a small owner-operated brothel or escort business in Victoria. Find out how to update your details and lodge your annual statement.

In this section:

Online forms

Note: this form requires the latest version of Adobe Reader to be installed on your PC. To download for free, visit the Adobe Reader download page on the Adobe website.

The form is compatible with the following web browsers:

  • Firefox 19 or later
  • Internet Explorer 8 or later.


Where only one person carries on business as a sex work service provider, they are exempt from requiring a licence. However, they must register their details with the Business Licensing Authority.

Small owner-operated businesses are not exempt if, for example, they:

  • have an arrangement with another person who refers clients to their business
  • refer clients to other sex workers not working in their business, or
  • are associated with another sex work service providing business (including another small owner-operated business).

A small owner-operated business is allowed to operate with a second sex work service provider and still rely on the exemption for small owner-operated businesses, provided that the second person is not employed by the small owner-operator.

Last updated: 24/04/2017

Was this page helpful?