Complaint handling in your owners corporation

Skip listen and sharing tools

Applying to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

The owners corporation must follow its internal grievance procedure before making an application to VCAT.

VCAT accepts complaints from:

  • a manager or former manager
  • a lot owner or former lot owner
  • the owners corporation
  • the occupier or former occupier of a lot
  • a mortgagee of a lot
  • an insurer under a policy taken out by the owners corporation
  • the Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Estimated timeframes to VCAT

COVID-19 has impacted normal timeframes for residential tenancy hearings. VCAT prioritises cases that the renting laws say must be heard within a certain time, and those considered urgent.

To learn more about whether your type of dispute is impacted, visit VCAT hearings during COVID-19 restrictions.

What can VCAT do?

The tribunal can impose penalties for breaches of rules and make a wide range of other orders, such as:

  • ordering someone to do something
  • imposing a penalty for breaches of rules
  • requiring the payment of money owed, as damages or restitution
  • varying or ordering a term of a contract void
  • appointing or removing a manager
  • appointing or removing a chairperson or secretary
  • appointing an administrator.

Where to next: