Communication is often the best way to prevent disputes so your owners corporation should encourage neighbours to talk about their concerns to resolve disputes.
It is good practice for an owners corporation to make a policy about day-to-day communication about lot owners and the owners corporation.
For more information, view our Communication about owners corporation rules page.
The Owners Corporations Act 2006 (the Act) sets out a process to help owners corporations (formerly body corporates) deal with complaints.
This process has three steps:
- internal dispute resolution
- conciliation through Consumer Affairs Victoria
- hearing at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).
Complaints to the owners corporation may relate to an alleged breach of the:
- Owners Corporation Act 2006
- Owners Corporation Regulations 2007
- owner's corporation's rules.