Search rental bond information

Skip listen and sharing tools

Applying for a bond loan

The Director of Housing (DoH) provides loans to eligible tenants who cannot pay a bond for their rental property.

The bond is paid to the landlord or real estate agent who must then lodge the bond with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) using the Bond Lodgement form.

These loans must be paid back to the DoH at the end of the tenancy.

If the landlord or agent claims part or all of the bond at the end of the tenancy - for example, for cleaning or repairs - the tenant must repay this amount to the DoH out of their own pocket. The tenant can dispute the bond claim, if they feel it is unreasonable or false, by making an application to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) within 10 business days of receiving the claim. The hearing if free of charge.

For more information on bond loans, visit the Department of Human Services website.

Tenants and Landlords