Search rental bond information

Skip listen and sharing tools

Claiming an unclaimed bond held jointly under two or more names

To claim back an unclaimed bond repayment, you must complete and submit a Retained Repayment Request.

Each party can submit separate requests for repayment for an amount not more than an equal share of the total retained value. For example, if the retained amount was $400 in two tenant's names, each tenant could claim up to $200.

If you want to claim the full retained amount, or a higher portion than your equal share of the total retained value, you must make a joint Retained Repayment Request with the other parties to the bond. This request must be signed by all the parties for which the retained repayment is held; otherwise, a Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) order is required together with the request.

To generate a Retained Repayment Request form:

  1. Go to the RTBA Online website
  2. Ensure pop-ups are enabled
  3. Click 'Find outstanding bond repayment' on the left side of the home page. This opens an information page
  4. Read the information, tick the box marked 'I have read the above information and agree to the above conditions (please tick)', then click 'Next'. This opens the 'Search Retained Repayment' page
  5. Enter your name or company name, then click 'Search'. This opens a list of search results
  6. Click your name from the list of search results. This opens the 'Online Retained Repayments Request' page
  7. Enter the details in the form, then click 'Generate form'
  8. Print and sign the Retained Repayment Request form
  9. Mail the completed form to: 
    Locked Bag 007 
    Wendouree VIC 3355

    Or fax to: 1300 768 647.
Tenants and Landlords