Search rental bond information

Skip listen and sharing tools

Can a landlord or owner break a lease if it is causing hardship?

If you are a landlord suffering hardship that could be reduced by moving into a property you own and have rented out, you can negotiate with the tenant to end the lease. You may, for example, offer a financial incentive for them to move out early.

You can also apply for permission to reduce the term of the lease at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). You will need to provide evidence of hardship - for example, bank statements, income statements or proof of a medical condition.

Note that tenants are not obliged to move out early unless the tribunal orders them to do so.

Tenants can also apply to end the lease due to hardship.

Tenants and Landlords