Search rental bond information

Skip listen and sharing tools

How should I arrange repairs?

The landlord must maintain rented properties in good repair. They must respond immediately to requests for urgent repairs. Even for non-urgent repairs, they have a responsibility to respond to repair requests promptly. However, if the tenant caused the damage, the landlord can ask them to arrange to repair it or pay for repairs they undertake.

A tenant should follow the correct process to have the landlord carry out non-urgent repairs. Use our official Notice to landlord of rented premises rather than an agent's own maintenance request forms.

Follow these steps:

  1. Send or deliver the Notice to Landlord of Rented Premises form to the landlord or agent at the address provide at the beginning of the tenancy. Follow the form's instructions and keep a copy. They then have 14 days from the day the notice is served (inclusive of weekends) to carry out the work.
  2. If the repairs are not completed, you can apply for a repairs inspection using our Request for repairs inspection or rent assessment (keep a copy). Our inspector will visit your home and contact your landlord, owner or agent to reach an agreement.
  3. If we cannot reach an agreement, we will give both parties a copy of the report. You have 60 days from receiving it to apply for an order directing the landlord, owner or agent to perform repairs. Apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

As Victoria's consumer affairs regulator, we help landlords, agents and tenants understand their rights and responsibilities.

Tenants and Landlords