Search rental bond information

Skip listen and sharing tools

What happens if my landlord wants to sell the property?

If the landlord is going to sell a property and requires vacant possession at the end of the lease, they can ask the tenant to leave with 60 days’ notice, via a Notice to vacate.

However, if a fixed-term lease is in place, the landlord cannot require the tenant to leave before the end date.

If a landlord is selling a property that is occupied by a tenant under a fixed-term lease, they must state this in the contract of sale. The new owner must then take on the lease agreement.

The tenant and landlord can also agree to end the lease early, so that the property can be sold without a tenant.

If the tenant does not leave within 60 days of receiving a valid Notice to vacate, the landlord can apply for a possession order from the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).


Tenants and Landlords