When making a bond claim against an ET or paper bond lodged with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA), you must:
- log in to RTBA Online
- search for and select the bond you want to claim
- select 'Refund your bond' from the menu on the left
- select whether the repayment is being made on the basis of a tenant agreement or a Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) order
- select 'Tenant Agreement', then 'Electronic', then proceed to Step 6. If the choice is by VCAT order, you must follow the paper-based claiming process.
Note: If you select 'Paper-based', you will generate the form online as applied to access Level 1 agents. Print the form generated and get all parties to the bond to sign it. All the tenants must also supply photo identification to confirm their signatures, if the bond was lodged using the Electronic Transactions Facility, when the paper form is submitted
- enter the repayment amounts for the agent and select 'Next'
- enter the repayment amounts and details for the tenants and select 'Next'
- review the repayment information and select 'Submit'.
You will see a confirmation displayed on the screen, showing that the transaction has been initiated.
The RTBA will then send an SMS and an email to the tenant. The tenant must:
- follow the link in their email to RTBA Online
- agree to the RTBA Online terms and conditions
- review the repayment information and select 'Accept Details'
- select 'Yes' for confirmation of their acceptance to the transaction details in the pop-up window.
The tenant will see a confirmation displayed on the screen, showing that the transaction has been completed.