While some laws have been implemented, the full suite of reforms will be in place by July 2020.
Consumer Affairs Victoria will oversee implementation of the new laws, including further consultation to develop regulations and guidelines.
Future reforms cover:
- Pets in rental properties
- New options for release of bonds
- Fixed-price advertisements and ban on rental bidding
- Getting rid of ‘No specified reason’ notices to vacate for periodic leases
- Using the term ‘renters’ instead of ‘tenants’, and ‘rental providers’ instead of ‘landlords’.
View a full list of reforms on the Fairer Safer Housing page on the Engage Victoria website.
To stay informed on the implementation process, you can subscribe to our email updates.
How the changes were made
The reforms respond to extensive community feedback during the Victorian Government’s Fairer Safer Housing consultation to review the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. More than 4,800 public comments were received from a wide range of people and organisations. For more information on this consultation, visit the Fairer Safer Housing page on the Engage Victoria website.