Rental non-compliance register guide

Skip listen and sharing tools

New renting laws mean that rental providers (landlords) and their agents will be listed on an online register if:

  • VCAT finds they have failed to meet certain obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, or
  • they are convicted of an offence under the RTA.

The register is a publicly available record managed by Consumer Affairs Victoria. The register will be available on the Consumer Affairs Victoria website by 29 March 2021.

To help renters find out more about their rental provider or agent, they can search for the following information listed on the register:

  • rental provider’s name
  • business name and address of the rental provider’s agent (if they have an agent)
  • address of the rented premises.

How long will a listing be kept on the register?

A listing will be removed after three years.

Is it possible for a rental provider or agent to prevent, remove or change their listing on the register?

This is possible in some circumstances:

  • In deciding that the rental provider or agent operated unlawfully, VCAT may also decide that it would be unfair to make a listing. It can order Consumer Affairs Victoria to not list the rental provider or agent on the register.
  • Rental providers and agents can apply to VCAT to prevent, remove or change a listing on the basis that:
    • Consumer Affairs Victoria did not take steps to notify them before making the listing
    • the listing has been on the register for more than three years, or
    • the information in the listing is incorrect.

Rooming house operators, caravan park owners, caravan owners and site owners (and their agents) can also be listed on the register.