Claiming the bond - tenants and residents

Skip listen and sharing tools

How to claim a bond and timeframes

When your tenancy or residency ends, and you and your landlord/agent or owner agree on how the bond will be divided, a Bond claim form will need to be filled out and submitted to the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA). To claim a bond, visit the RTBA Online website. Ensure pop ups are enabled on your web browser; otherwise you will not be able to generate the Bond Claim form.

Note: As each bond form has a unique number, blank downloadable forms cannot be provided. However, you can request a pre-printed form to be mailed to you. Email or call the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) on 1300 137 164. Calling this number costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply if you are calling from overseas, on a mobile or payphone.

Never sign a Bond Claim form that does not show the amount you are to receive as a bond repayment. It is an offence for a landlord or their agent to request or obtain your signature on a Bond Claim form that does not show how the bond is to be refunded and distributed.

Once signed by both parties, the Bond Claim form should be sent to the RTBA without delay.

How long does it take for my bond to be refunded?

If you give the RTBA your bank account details, the Bond Claim form is filled in correctly, and the payee signature can be matched against the Bond Lodgement or Tenant Transfer form, you should have your bond returned in two to three business days.