For providers

Skip listen and sharing tools

Changes to the law

In July 2019, the law changed and specialist disability accommodation (SDA) became part of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. We now regulate SDA under Victorian renting laws. The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) funds SDA.

This will affect:

Residential agreements

There are three types of residency agreements available for SDA. By 1 January 2020, SDA residents and SDA providers must:

Information statements

Each type of agreement has a matching information statement that explains it and outlines both your and the resident’s rights and responsibilities.

You must give the resident an agreement and its information statement at the same time. 

Download the:

Support person

The resident may choose a support person to help them decide which agreement will best suit their needs. A support person can be a family member, trusted friend, advocate, carer, guardian or Supported Independent Living (SIL) provider.

A SIL provider supports SDA residents with daily tasks and helps them to develop skills to live as independently as possible. For more information, visit the Find a registered provider page on the NDIS website.