For providers

Skip listen and sharing tools

What are the main differences between the types of agreements

The Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) residency agreement is new and designed to provide greater protections for SDA residents.

The Residential tenancy agreement is currently used by Victorian tenants renting a standard home.

The table below outlines the main differences between an SDA residency agreement and a Residential tenancy agreement.

SDA residency agreement Residential tenancy agreement
The resident does not pay a bond.

You can ask the resident to pay a bond. A bond acts as a security that the resident will carry out their duties in the agreement. If they do this, you will need to return their bond at the end of the agreement. View our Lodging the bond page.

You may claim some or all the bond at the end of the agreement if the resident:

  • does not keep the home clean
  • causes damage to the home
  • owes rent.

View our Releasing or claiming the bond - landlords and owners page.

You can increase the rent every six months.
You can increase the rent every 12 months. View our Rent increases page.

The resident does not pay for damage to the property if the damage is because of:

  • fair wear and tear
  • their disability
  • reasonable use of the property or room.

The resident must take reasonable care to avoid damaging the property. They will have to pay for any damage they cause, except for fair wear and tear.

You can claim part or all the bond to cover the costs to repair any damage. You can also make a claim at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

The resident can end the agreement at any time by giving you a Notice of intention to vacate.
If it is a fixed-term agreement, the resident cannot end the agreement before the lease end date. If they do, you may charge them ‘lease-break fees’. View our Tenant giving notice of intention to vacate page.
You cannot ask a resident to leave the property without first finding them suitable temporary accommodation.
You can serve a Notice to vacate for the reasons outlined under Victorian rental laws. View our Landlord giving notice to vacate page.