For support people

Skip listen and sharing tools

What you need to know as a support person

As a support person, you can help the resident understand their rights and responsibilities in specialist disability accommodation (SDA). On this page, you can find information about:

Changes to the law

In July 2019, the law changed and specialist disability accommodation (SDA) became part of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. We now regulate SDA under Victorian renting laws. The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) funds SDA.

Residential agreements

There are three types of residency agreements available for SDA. By 1 January 2020, residents and providers must:

Information statements

Each type of agreement has a matching information statement that explains it and outlines both the provider’s and resident’s rights and responsibilities.

The provider must give the resident an agreement and its information statement at the same time.

Download the:

What are the main differences between the types of agreements?

There are some differences between an SDA residency agreement and the Residential tenancy agreements. For more information, view our What are the main differences between the types of agreements page in the For residents section.

Starting an SDA agreement or Residential tenancy agreement

Providers and residents can enter into or establish an agreement. They can 'enter into' the agreement if the resident can:

  • understand the agreement without a support person, and
  • sign it themselves.

An agreement is 'established' if the resident:

  • needs a support person to help them understand the agreement, and
  • is unable to sign it due to their disability.

For more information, view our Starting an agreement with your provider page in the For residents section.

Rental payments in SDA

Providers and residents can agree for the rent to be paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly. They must write this in the agreement. For more information, including reasonable rent contribution (RRC), view our Paying rent in SDA page in the For residents section.

What happens to existing residential statements?

Many residents may have a residential statement under the Disability Act 2006. These statements will be valid until 31 December 2019. After this time they will become void. Providers and residents must enter into or establish a new agreement before 1 January 2020. For more information, view our Existing residential statements page in the For residents section.