Avoid the extra cost of paper billing - Media release

Skip listen and sharing tools
30 April 2018
Media releases

Consumer Affairs Victoria is encouraging consumers who need paper bills to contact their service providers and ask whether a fee exemption is applicable in their circumstances.

Some businesses charge fees for paper bills, to cover the cost of printing and mailing your bill to you. However, there are ways to avoid such fees.

Many companies, including some banks, energy providers and telecommunications companies provide exemptions from paper bills for customers who:

  • are older Victorians
  • are registered for a concession
  • receive income support
  • have no access to the internet.

Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria Simon Cohen said it was important that consumers were aware of exemptions they may be entitled to.

“Many service providers offer fee exemptions to people who receive paper bills because they do not have an alternative,” Mr Cohen said.

“If you want or need a paper bill, contact your service provider and find out what their exemption process is.”

Any consumer who is eligible for an exemption, but is having trouble getting their exemption application processed, should contact Consumer Affairs Victoria for assistance on 1300 55 81 81.

If you are receiving and being charged for a paper bill that you do not want or need, contact the company that posts you a bill to ask if they can bill you via email or the company’s app.

Electronic or digital billing often costs consumers less than paper billing, or is at no cost.

For more information and advice on paper billing, visit the Paper billing page on the Australian Consumer Law website.