The Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria has begun civil proceedings against Walid El Haouli - trading as BRB Modular Homes – in Werribee Magistrates’ Court for alleged contraventions of the Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995 and the Australian Consumer Law (Victoria).
Our Director will allege that Mr Haouli, 41, of Williams Landing:
- entered into major domestic building contracts for the supply of domestic goods and services (including kitchen cabinetry work) without being registered
- entered into major domestic building contracts that did not contain the required information
- entered in a domestic building contract and demanded and received an excessive deposit
- failed to provide a building owner a signed copy of the major domestic building contract between them.
Our Director will also allege that Mr Haouli took payment for domestic building services and failed to supply those services within:
- the period specified in the domestic building contract, or
- a reasonable time.
The allegations relate to two consumer complaints concerning major domestic building contracts for properties in Tarneit and Brighton East in 2016.
We are seeking orders for injunctions, declarations, corrective advertising and costs.