Resources for young consumers

Skip listen and sharing tools

On this page:

This page includes information, advice and links for young people, about shopping and renting rights, buying a car, avoiding scams, resolving problems and starting a business. 

Information and advice


  • Keep your shopping rights at your fingertips. Download our free MyShopRights app.
  • Businesses that sell products and services in Australia must meet the consumer guarantees under the Australian Consumer Law. Consumer guarantees are rights that all consumers have when they buy products and services, and this law applies all over the country. View Consumer guarantees.
  • Learn how to use your consumer rights when something goes wrong with something you buy. Play our Party for your rights online game.
Party for your rights


  • Thinking of renting a property? Find out the different types of rental agreements out there so you can understand your rights and responsibilities as a renter before you move in. View Different rental agreements.
  • If you want to apply to rent a property, we have information on preparing rental applications, calculating rent and more. View Applying, signing and moving in.
  • A rental agreement, which used to be called a lease, is a legally binding contract. There is no cooling-off period and you must pay rent on time for the duration of the agreement. For information on what you should know before entering into a rental agreement, view Applying, signing and moving in.
  • You have rights and responsibilities while you are a renter. To learn more about these, view Resource - guide for renters.
  • If you have decided to end a rental agreement, there are certain rules you must follow. View Moving out, giving notice and evictions.
  • A bond is a security deposit, usually equivalent to one month's rent, that the rental provider must lodge with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA). When you leave the property, you get the bond back unless you, or anyone you invite over, damages the property. In this case, the rental provider can keep some or all of your bond to cover the damages. Do you have a question about your bond? View Rent, bond, bills and condition reports.

Motor cars

  • In the market for new wheels? Read our information on Buying a used car.
  • To find out what you need to know before selling your car, including roadworthy certificates and transferring registration, view Selling a car.
  • When you hire a car, it is important to understand your rights and responsibilities. To find out how to protect yourself when hiring a car, view Car hire.
  • Before you park in a private car park, always check signage for the terms and conditions. View Parking payment notices in private car parks.


Banner: Welcome to Stevie's Scam School

Young consumers with a disability

  • For Easy English fact sheets that you can print out, and a list of organisations who can help you with your rights, view Consumers with a disability.

International students

Small business

  • If you are thinking of starting your own business, there are a lot of steps involved. Download ASIC's First Business app to:
    • work out whether you are ready to start a business
    • keep track of requirements related to running a business
    • develop business networks
    • save and compile useful websites and information about starting a business.

Resolving problems

  • If you have a problem or complaint regarding a rental property or products or services you have bought, view Resolve your problem or complaint.
  • If you need help with money matters, including advice about debt problems, types of debt and financial counselling, view Managing debt.

More resources

Where to next: