The following organisations do not need to register fundraising appeals:
- state government schools, school councils, registered non-government schools and some kindergartens
- universities, TAFE colleges and other tertiary education institutions
- public and denominational hospitals, public health services, state-funded residential care services and other registered health agencies funded by the state government
- religious bodies that have authority to marry people
- political parties registered under the Victorian or Commonwealth Electoral Acts
- trade unions registered in Victoria
- federally registered associations of employees, associations of employers or enterprise associations
- organisations that receive less than $10,000 gross in a financial year from fundraising, are not paid for conducting the fundraising and use only unpaid volunteers
- licensed children's services that receive funding for a kindergarten program from the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
- the Anti Cancer Council.
- a patriotic fund within the meaning of the Veterans Act 2005
Because these organisations are exempt from registration, they do not appear on the public register.
Organisations that undertake only the following activities are not required to register:
- raffles, lotteries or other gaming activities authorised or permitted under the Gambling Regulation Act 2003 (raffles and bingo require a separate permit from the Victorian Commission for Gambling Regulation website)
- asking a person to pay a fee to become a member of an organisation
- fundraising that takes place within an organisation and is targeted at past and present members and their relatives (rather than the general public), even if the fundraising is for an outside cause
- fundraising in the workplace for the benefit of an employee or his or her close family
- receiving grants from a government body
- receiving sponsorships from commercial organisations (such as corporations, partnerships or trusts) permitted to donate money or benefits to charity
- memorial gifts (such as donations in lieu of flowers being sent to a funeral).
Even if you are an exempt fundraiser, you must still comply with your statutory obligations, including:
- keeping accurate financial records of your activities
- passing on all funds raised to the beneficiaries.