Switching services offer to find you a better deal for your energy services. You provide information about your current bills and usage, which is compared against the prices of different providers. You can do this online or by phone.
Normally, the switching service will cancel your existing agreement and sign you up to the new provider once you have chosen a new company.
Comparison services enable you to compare the price of energy bills, to make an informed decision about which product best suits your needs.
A comparison service provides you with price and service information, but it is up to you to contact and change providers.
Energy services are not always straightforward. Consider the following points:
- not all energy providers and services are compared by each service. You may not be provided with the ‘best’ or ‘cheapest’ offer available on the market
- not all services will quote the same price for the same deal or offer. This is because they may have been provided different quotes by energy providers
- often, switching sites do not explain the terms and conditions associated with moving to a new contract. You may find that you are charged a cancellation fee, or do not make the savings you anticipate because you haven’t adhered to terms and conditions of the new contract. Paying on time is a common condition of energy contracts
- consider the complexity of the products being compared. Some energy services have complicated contractual terms. Research all available offers thoroughly
- sites calculate quotes in different ways. Entering different information into different sites can make it hard to compare quotes.
The Essential Services Commission website, Your Choice, has been designed to provide you with impartial information and to help you make the right choice when choosing your energy supplier. It provides practical tips on contracts and selecting an energy retailer, and has a search engine to help you compare standing contracts in your area.
Visit the YourChoice website.
Last updated: 09/04/2013