Public register of rooming houses - search

Skip listen and sharing tools

You should check that a rooming house is registered before you sign an agreement or move in.

A rooming house is a building where one or more rooms are available to rent, and four or more people in total can occupy those rooms.

Registered rooming houses are required to meet minimum standards for privacy, security safety and amenity. For more information, view our Minimum Standards in rooming houses page.

Search the public register online below for rooming houses registered by local councils in Victoria.

Or browse full list of registered rooming houses.


  • the annual renewal of rooming house registration usually takes place between 1 January and 31 March. During this period the public register may show the status of a rooming house as ‘pending’. This generally means only that the processing of the renewal of registration is not yet complete.
  • the information in this register is maintained by local councils. If you have a concern about a rooming house or rooming house operator, or wish to report an unregistered rooming house, contact your local council. Council contact details are available on the Know your council website.