We are Victoria's consumer affairs regulator and a part of the Department of Justice and Community Safety (DJCS).
We promote and embrace the values of:
- working together
- making it happen
- respecting other people
- serving the community
- acting with integrity.
These values inform the way we do business and are shown every day through the actions of our staff.
A fair and competitive marketplace in Victoria.
- Businesses comply with consumer laws.
- Victorians exercise their consumer rights.
- A fair and safe rental market for Victorians.
We help Victorians to be responsible and informed businesses and consumers. To do this we:
- provide information and advice to consumers, businesses, tenants, landlords and property managers about their rights, responsibilities and changes to relevant laws
- register and license certain businesses and occupations
- enforce compliance with consumer laws
- review and advise the Victorian Government on the consumer protection framework.
We also provide administrative support to several statutory offices and bodies. These include the:
Our regulatory approach
Our regulatory approach is intelligence-led, risk-based and outcomes-focused. This enables us to target the conduct posing the highest risk to Victorians, making the best use of our available resources. Our compliance operating model ensures the approach is embedded in our day-to-day work.
For more information, view Our regulatory approach and compliance policy.
In this section: