Lodging an annual statement – incorporated associations

Skip listen and sharing tools

Important change: New reporting exemption for registered charities

Reporting requirements for many Victorian incorporated associations are changing.

If your association is also a charity registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC), for any financial year of the association that ends on or after 30 June 2018, you will no longer need to:

  • lodge an annual statement for that association with Consumer Affairs Victoria
  • pay an annual statement lodgement fee.

You must continue to lodge the Annual Information Statement with the ACNC for each financial year and follow their regulatory requirements.

The new reporting exemption only applies to annual reporting obligations to Consumer Affairs Victoria. You must continue to submit the association’s financial statements to members at the annual general meeting.

The exemption is not retrospective. For financial years that end before 30 June 2018, you must still submit separate annual statements to the ACNC and Consumer Affairs Victoria.

The exemption will not apply to charities who have been approved by the ACNC to withhold financial details (for example, revenue) or financial reports from the ACNC register.

All incorporated associations must continue to notify us via myCAV of any changes, such as the association’s name, details or rules.

You can confirm whether your association is a registered charity using the ACNC charity register.

For information about reporting obligations to the ACNC, visit the Regulation of charities page on the ACNC website.

When to lodge

Your association must lodge an annual statement with us every year within one month after its annual general meeting.

On or after your association's end of financial year date, we will email your association secretary a notification to lodge your annual statement. 

You must lodge your annual statement via the online system myCAV. View the steps involved in the How to lodge section below.

Who can lodge

Lodgement can be made by either the secretary or an authorised delegate of the association.

What you’ll need

You will need required documents as electronic files to upload to your annual statement form - these are the same documents presented to members at the annual general meeting:

For Tier 1 associations:

  • no documents required (but you will still need to lodge the annual statement).

For Tier 2 associations:

  • reviewed accounts for both the association and any trusts it administers
  • a signed and dated independent report of the review of financial statements.

For Tier 3 associations:

  • audited accounts for both the association and any trusts it administers
  • a signed and dated independent audit report.

For more information about association tiers, view our Financial statements and auditing requirements – incorporated associations page.

How to lodge

  1. On or after your association's end of financial year date, we will email your association secretary a notice to lodge your annual statement. The email will include a link to the myCAV sign in page.
  2. Once you are in the myCAV sign in page, enter your email address and password in the sign in form on the page, then click the ‘sign-in’ button. This will open your myCAV account page.
  3. Once you are in your myCAV account page, you will see your incorporated association(s) name. Below the name, you should see the text ‘Annual statement [year] available to lodge’ and ‘Lodge’. Click ‘Lodge’. This will open the annual statement form. The form should take about 5 minutes to complete.

Below is an example of how your myCAV home page will look when an annual statement is ready to lodge. If you do not see 'Annual statement [year] available to lodge' on your myCAV home page, you do not have any annual statements that need to be lodged.


You can pay:

  • online using a debit or credit Visa or MasterCard, or
  • by cheque in person using Post Billpay at a Post Office. If you pay using Post Billpay, we will send an invoice to your email address and you will have 14 days to make the payment.

When payment is accepted, we will send you an email advising your payment has been successful, and a copy of your receipt.

For fee amounts, view our Fees and forms – incorporated associations page.

Apply for an extension of time to lodge an annual statement

If there are exceptional circumstances that prevent your association from lodging an annual statement by the due date, your association may complete and lodge an Application for extension of time to hold an annual general meeting or lodge financial statements (Word, 138KB).

Note that you can only apply for an extension:

  • for your association’s most recent financial year
  • between the financial year end date and the annual statement due date.

All applications for an extension are subject to approval by Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Difficulty accessing myCAV

If the secretary or delegates cannot access the internet or myCAV, they can call our Helpline on 1300 55 81 81 to request a copy of the annual statement form. Calling our Helpline costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply from mobile or payphones.

Failure to lodge an annual statement

If your association does not lodge its annual statement, it means it is not meeting its legal obligations, and could face penalties.

Change financial year end date

If your association wants to change its financial year end date, it must:

  1. pass a special resolution if the rules of the association require this
  2. complete a change of rules transaction in myCAV
  3. ensure all time periods are accounted for in the next annual statement it lodges with us.

For more information on special resolutions, view our Meetings - incorporated associations page.

Update association details

You can update your incorporated association details, including postal and email addresses, rules, secretary, and delegates at any time via your myCAV account. For more information, view our Update incorporated association details page.