Delegates of incorporated associations

Skip listen and sharing tools


The role of a delegate is to help the secretary meet the association’s obligations under the Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012.

A delegate may be the association’s accountant or solicitor, or someone who can help the secretary meet the association’s administrative responsibilities.

An authorised delegate may:

  • lodge an application to incorporate an association
  • lodge an annual return
  • change the association's name
  • change the association's rules
  • change the association’s contact details
  • change the secretary's contact details
  • change their own contact details
  • add delegates (when there are fewer than three existing delegates)
  • remove other delegates.


Delegates must be authorised by the incorporated association’s secretary.

Even when a delegate is authorised to help the secretary, the secretary remains responsible for compliance with the law. For more information, view our Running an incorporated association section.

The person lodging the application must be authorised to do so by the majority of the association’s members.

If that person is not the secretary, they will become a delegate of the association automatically in our myCAV system. myCAV is our new online system, which lets you apply to register as an incorporated association, update association details, and lodge annual statements -– all in the one place. There is no fee to create an account.

To create a myCAV account and to lodge an application to incorporate your association, view our Register as an incorporated association page.

Maximum number of delegates

An association may have up to three delegates. If an association has three delegates and an additional delegate is authorised, the secretary must remove one of the existing delegates from myCAV. The outgoing delegate will no longer have access to the association’s transactions.

Changing delegates

When a change of delegate is made in myCAV, an email will be sent to the secretary of the association and the delegate, to advise of the change.

It is best practice to record any changes of secretary or delegate in the minutes of the association and keep a written record.

To create a myCAV account, lodge an application to incorporate your association, or change delegates, view our Register as an incorporated association page.