The advertised total price may include additional fees and charges. For new and used vehicles, these include:
- goods and services tax (GST) - a broad-based tax of 10 per cent on most goods sold or consumed in Australia
- Transport Accident Commission (TAC) charges are paid as part of each registration process. These fees can vary
- government and motor vehicle duty. For changes to stamp duty rates and to calculate motor vehicle duty, visit the State Revenue Office (Victoria) website
- number-plate fee - for cars that are sold as unregistered vehicles
- registration transfer fee - paid to transfer registration to the new registered owner
- registration fees - paid when the vehicle is first registered and periodically from this date, depending on the chosen registration period. For current rates, visit the VicRoads website
- Luxury Car Tax - 33 per cent imposed on the GST-inclusive value of luxury cars over the relevant threshold. For details, visit the Australian Tax Office (ATO) website.