Unregistered vehicles

Skip listen and sharing tools

If a car is unregistered or the registration has been cancelled, it can be sold without a roadworthy certificate.

If you buy it, you will be responsible for arranging and paying for a new:

  • roadworthy certificate
  • registration
  • registration plates.

You may also have to apply for an Unregistered Vehicle Permit from VicRoads to drive the car. Usually this permit will only allow the car to be driven to your home or to a licensed vehicle tester during set times of the day.

For more information, visit the Buy an unregistered vehicle page on the VicRoads website.