Using a motor car broker

Skip listen and sharing tools

Motor car brokers usually charge a fee or receive a commission to find a car for you.

If you decide to use a motor car broker, find out if you will be entering into a contract to buy a car from that person. If your contract is with the broker, then they must hold a licence. However, the motor car broker may be acting as an intermediary between you and a car trader.

In this case, the trader and not the broker must hold a licence. If the trader or motor car broker with whom you enter a contract is not licensed, you will have no legal protection under the Motor Car Traders Act 1986.

Also, if you use a motor car broker, be sure to find out how much you will be charged in commission or fees.