Find important information on applying to become, or operating as, a conveyancer. Learn how to lodge an individual licence application or a company licence application.

If you are a buyer or a vendor, view our Buying and selling property section.

If you have a dispute with a conveyancer, view our Resolve a dispute page.

In this section:

Important notice: professional indemnity insurance

Austbrokers Countrywide is the current broker providing conveyancers professional indemnity insurance. For more information, view our Professional Indemnity Insurance page.

Licence application forms

Licence renewal/update forms

Note: the licence renewal/update forms require the latest version of Adobe Reader to be installed on your PC. To download for free, visit the Adobe Reader download page on the Adobe website.

The forms are compatible with the following web browsers:

  • Internet Explorer 8 or later.
  • Firefox 19 or later



The process of transferring the legal title of property from a seller to a buyer is conveyancing. Conveyancing can also include the process of creating other legal interests in land, such as a mortgage, a lease, or an assignment of lease.

On 1 July 2012 the definition of 'conveyancing work' in section 4 of the Conveyancers Act 2006 was amended in order to allow licensed conveyancers to engage in the legal work connected with the sale of business. This includes legal work connected with the sale or purchase of goodwill and stock-in-trade and the transfer of any relevant business licence or permit.


A conveyancer is a person or company, other than an Australian legal practitioner, who carries on a conveyancing business for a fee or reward. This applies even if conveyancing is not the main purpose of the business.

Last updated: 26/04/2017

Was this page helpful?