Maintaining and improving common property in an owners corporation

Skip listen and sharing tools

Your owners corporation (formerly body corporate) can only make significant alterations to the use or appearance of its common property if the alterations are:

  • listed in the maintenance plan or
  • approved by special resolution at a general meeting or
  • composed of works for the upgrading, renovating or improving of the common property, and
  • the estimated total cost is double annual total fees, or
  • the works require a planning building permit, and
  • a special resolution is passed.


Your owners corporation can make significant alterations if they are reasonably believed to be required:

  • immediately to ensure safety or to prevent significant loss or damage, which can be approved by ordinary resolution or by the committee
  • so that tenants or visitors with a disability can access common property. For more information, visit the Victorian Equal Opportunity & Human Rights Commission website.

For more information on common property, view our What is an owners corporation? page.