Director of Housing bond loans

Skip listen and sharing tools


The Director of Housing (DoH), through the Office of Housing, may provide a DoH loan in certain cases where tenants or residents on a low income are struggling to pay up-front rental costs. This helps people or households with no other financial options.

Depending on the circumstances, a DoH loan may cover:

  • the total bond value
  • part of the total bond, with the tenants or residents making up the difference through a private contribution.

How to apply

If you think you may be eligible for bond assistance from the DoH (you need to be a permanent Australian resident and meet other eligibility tests), complete a Bond Loan application form, available from the Bond loan scheme page on the Housing Victoria website.

The Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) treats DoH loans and private contributions as separate bonds, even when they relate to the same property. For bond transfer and bond claim requests, separate forms must be submitted to the RTBA for the DoH loan and the private contribution.

Tenant or resident claims on a Director of Housing bond

Where the Director of Housing (DoH) has provided a loan, the tenant or resident cannot agree to the release of any of the bond to the landlord/agent or owner.

The Residential Tenancies Bond Authority will pay the bond to the DoH at the end of the tenancy or residency once it receives the completed claim form signed by the landlord/agent or owner. The signatures of the tenant or resident are not required.

If a claim form is not lodged, the DoH will not know that the tenancy or residency has ended and the bond amount will remain registered as an outstanding debt against the tenant or resident.

Landlord/agent or owner claims on a Director of Housing bond

If a landlord/agent or owner makes a claim on a DoH bond loan, they must apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

If VCAT orders the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) to pay the landlord/agent or owner, the landlord/agent or owner must complete a Bond Claim form. They must also attach a full copy of the order and send it to the RTBA.

Bond Claim forms can be generated from the RTBA Online website. They can also be obtained by sending an email to or by calling 1300 137 164. Calling this number costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply if you are calling from overseas, on a mobile or payphone.