Caravan park resident giving notice of intention to vacate

Skip listen and sharing tools

See new temporary renting rules at Coronavirus (COVID-19) Victoria.

How to give notice

If you are a caravan park resident, you can end a fixed-term agreement before the end date by mutual agreement with the owner. Agreements should be in writing. Otherwise, if you want to vacate (end the agreement and leave the property), you must give the owner written notice.

You are advised to use the Notice to owner of caravan or caravan park (Word, 728KB)

You must deliver this notice to the caravan park owner either by: 

  • post 
  • electronic communication (such as email), if the owner has given consent to receive notices and other documents this way, or 
  • hand (giving the notice personally to the owner). If the owner is unavailable, you can leave the notice with a person who appears to be aged over 16 and residing or employed at the owner's usual or last known home or business address.

The written notice of intention to vacate must:

  • be signed by you or your representative
  • allow the correct amount of time to give the notice (see Notice periods below)
  • give the date for you to leave.

If you do not give notice

If you do not give notice or want to end an agreement earlier than the required notice, you may be liable for rent until the relevant notice period expires or a new resident moves in (whichever is earlier).

In cases of severe hardship, the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal may also end a fixed-term tenancy early.

Final meter readings

If you have separate meters, you should let the utility providers know in advance when you will be moving out. Otherwise, you may be charged for services in the next billing period.

Notice periods

If you are a resident who wants to leave your caravan or caravan park, the following table shows the minimum notice period you need to give depending on the reason.

Note: from 4 January 2016, Australia Post has introduced three different speeds for mail delivery – express, priority and regular. Allow for mail delivery times which reflect the service you choose when sending a Notice to vacate a rental property.

If the notice is being delivered by mail to a country area, you should factor in an extra two days in addition to standard delivery times.

For more information about postal delivery options and times, visit Australia Post.

Visit VCAT to view tables which help calculate the total minimum days to allow, depending on the notice period required and the method of delivery.


Reason for leaving a caravan park

Minimum notice required

After you move in the caravan becomes unfit for human habitation or is destroyed to such an extent that it is unsafe.


You otherwise want to leave the caravan or site.

7 days