Skip listen and sharing tools

Boarders rent a room in a home and live with the home owners.

A boarder and home owner can choose to have a private agreement or sign a rental agreement (lease).

A private agreement covers the products and services the owner will provide for the rent, such as meals or washing. These agreements do not fall under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, but could be a contract and covered by the Australian Consumer Law. Find out more about what a contract is or get general information about the Australian Consumer Law.

If people sign a rental agreement, the boarder is known as a ‘renter’ and the home owner as a ‘rental provider’. Both have the same rights and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 as in other residential renting situations.

Boarders are different to rooming house residents or people who sub-let.