Commercial and retail leases

Skip listen and sharing tools

Our information about renting places to live in does not cover commercial or retail leases. Consumer Affairs Victoria only deals with residential rental agreements.

However, if you rent a property mainly as your home but also run a business there, your rental agreement may be covered by the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.

If a property has a retail area and a separate residential area, the retail business’s lease is covered by the Victorian Small Business Commission while the living space falls under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.