Consumer Affairs Victoria

What is specialist disability accommodation (SDA)?

SDA is housing designed for people with extreme functional impairment or very high support needs. It gives people with a disability the ability to live independently.

In July 2019, SDA residency agreements became part of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. We now regulate these agreements under Victorian renting laws.


People who own or manage SDA, include:

  • private rental providers
  • family members of people with a disability
  • organisations (not-for-profit or for-profit)

To register as a provider or enrol housing as SDA with the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA), visit SDA registration and enrolment - NDIS website.


People with extreme functional impairment or very high support needs who receive funding to live in SDA.

For NDIS SDA eligibility criteria, see rules 3.4 to 3.8 of the NDIS (Specialist Disability Accommodation) Rules 2016.

Support people

People who help residents understand their rights and responsibilities in SDA, such as:

  • carers
  • advocates
  • guardians
  • family members or friends
  • Supported Independent Living (SIL) providers
  • Daily independent living support providers.

Contact us

For more information about specialist disability accommodation, call 1300 40 43 19. The line is open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday - except for public holidays.

Calling us costs the same as a local call. Extra charges may apply if you are calling from overseas, on a mobile or payphone. For other options including the National Relay Service, Contact us.


We are committed to providing information that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability. To meet this commitment, we are working towards meeting the worldwide standard, Level AA of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0.