Checklists for rooming house operators

Skip listen and sharing tools

Establishing a rooming house, make sure you have:

  • registered it with council
  • appropriate permits.

Before you start operating your rooming house, make sure:

  • you are licensed with the Business Licensing Authority
  • you are meeting the rooming house minimum standards
  • you have installed the right fire safety equipment
  • you have appropriate signage and lighting
  • your residents have enough space
  • you have a register to record all past and current residents
  • you keep appropriate records of all safety and health and hygiene maintenance.

When a resident moves in, make sure:

During a residents stay, make sure you:

  • provide rent receipts on time
  • keep rent receipts for at least 12 months
  • give at least 60 days’ notice if you want to increase the rent
  • are getting their permission to add more people to their room (if existing residents have an exclusive room right)
  • are fixing urgent repairs immediately
  • are fixing non-urgent repairs within 14 days
  • are giving the correct notice before entering a residents room.

At the end of a residency

When a resident is vacating, make sure you:

  • give the appropriate notice
  • leave enough time to serve the notice
  • go through VCAT if you want to evict a resident.

After a resident has left, make sure you:

  • have agreed with the resident on the return of the bond
  • have lodged the Bond Claim form with the RTBA
  • have taken reasonable steps to give the prescribed notice to the resident if any goods have been left behind
  • are storing any goods left behind in a safe place for at least 14 days after giving notice to the resident
  • are storing any documents left behind for at least 90 days
  • only sell or dispose of any goods in a lawful manner if they have not been reclaimed after the required notice period.