In February 2015 the Victorian Government established an independent panel to recommend ways to improve the regulation of CBD residential buildings, so property is protected from unruly 'short-stay' parties.
The panel's considerations included the interests of stakeholders, current issues with short-stay accommodation, international experience, and possible legislative change to better regulate the sector.
The panel has reported to the Minister for Consumer Affairs, Gaming and Liquor Regulation, and the Minister for Planning on the issues, options and recommendations to address the issues.
In line with the panel's recommendation, the Government will be consulting on the report with the bodies represented on the panel.
- Simon Libbis, Principal, Subdivision Lawyers
- Michael Nugent, Director, Bencorp OCM Pty Ltd, and nominee of Strata Community Australia (Victoria)
- Kristina Burke, Policy Manager, Victorian Tourism Industry Council
- Paul Salter, President, Victorian Accommodation Industry Association
- Angela Meinke, Manager, Planning and Building, City of Melbourne
- Justin Butterworth, Director, Holiday Rental Industry Association
- Roger Gardner, President, Owners Corporation Network Victoria, and President, Docklands Community Association Inc.