English - Overview

Skip listen and sharing tools

Note: the purpose of this page is to provide community and advocacy organisations with an English-language version of the equivalent pages in our Other languages section. For our full information about Consumer Affairs Victoria, view our About us section.

What we do

Consumer Affairs Victoria is the state’s consumer affairs regulator. Our purpose is to help Victorians be responsible and informed traders and consumers.

To do this we:

  • review and advise the state government on consumer legislation and industry codes
  • advise and educate consumers, tenants, traders and landlords on their rights, responsibilities and changes to the law
  • register and license businesses and occupations
  • conciliate disputes between consumers and traders, and tenants and landlords
  • enforce and ensure compliance with consumer laws.

We provide free, independent information and advice on:

  • building and renovating
  • business licensing and regulation
  • business names
  • buying and selling property
  • co-operatives
  • fundraising
  • incorporated associations
  • limited partnerships
  • managing debt
  • motor cars
  • owners corporations
  • product safety
  • renting
  • retirement villages
  • scams
  • shopping and trading.

Contact us

Interpreter service

Call 131 450 and say the English name of your language. Then ask the interpreter to call 1300 55 81 81.

9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (except for public holidays)

More information

How to contact Consumer Affairs Victoria video