Tenancy Assistance and Advocacy Program

Skip listen and sharing tools

The Tenancy Assistance and Advocacy Program (TAAP) 2017-21 is funded by Consumer Affairs Victoria and provided by community agencies across 17 service areas.

What is the TAAP?

The community agencies we fund to provide TAAP services help Victorian tenants dealing with issues in a private tenancy agreement, to avoid homelessness. The agencies provide a range of services, including information and referral to other services, negotiation with landlords or real estate agents, and assistance in preparing for and attending hearings at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

Who is eligible for TAAP services?

TAAP services are available to Victorian residential tenants who are financially disadvantaged.

The term 'tenant' refers to:

  • tenants with private residential tenancy agreements
  • rooming house residents
  • residential park and caravan park residents.

TAAP can assist a range of financially disadvantaged tenants, such as those:

  • on a Centrelink benefit
  • with no income
  • with insufficient income to sustain personal financial commitments and who have defaulted on paying rent, utility bills or other personal debts.

TAAP services are also available to those experiencing family violence, regardless of their financial circumstances, because family violence can quickly impact a tenant's housing situation.

How to contact a TAAP agency

For a list of community agencies that provide TAAP services in your area, view Tenancy Assistance and Advocacy Program providers 2018-19.