Consumer Affairs Victoria is a business unit of the Department of Justice & Regulation, within the Victorian government.
We are Victoria’s consumer affairs regulator. Our purpose is to help Victorians be responsible and informed businesses and consumers.
To do this we:
- review and advise the state government on consumer legislation and industry codes. For a full list of legislation we administer and our public consultations and reviews, view our Legislation section
- advise and educate consumers, tenants, businesses and landlords on their rights, responsibilities and changes to the law
- register and license businesses and occupations
- conciliate disputes between consumers and traders, and tenants and landlords
- enforce and ensure compliance with consumer laws.
The impact of our work is far-reaching. We advise and assist on topics including renting and accommodation, estate agents, building, shopping and trading.
We license or register and regulate a range of occupations, including rooming house operators, estate agents, conveyancers, motor car traders, sex work service providers, owners corporation managers, second-hand dealers and pawnbrokers.
- Businesses are compliant with consumer laws
- Victorians exercise their consumer rights
- A fair and safe rental market for Victorians
- A modern and effective consumer law framework
- A sustainable and innovative regulator.
Our compliance policy
For information on how we ensure compliance with consumer laws and how we make our regulatory decisions, view our Regulatory approach and compliance policy section.