Buying a car from a private seller may be cheaper than buying from a licensed motor car trader, but it offers less legal protection. For instance:
- there is no cooling-off period
- the car is not covered by a statutory warranty.
It is your responsibility to check that the car:
Tips on how to avoid buying a stolen vehicle
Be wary if the:
- seller asks for payment (or a large portion of the payment) in cash
- seller offers to bring the car to you, or is waiting for you outside the address he or she has given you and does not go inside
- asking price is significantly below market value.
Also, check that the person selling the car is its owner. Ask for identification.