Appealing director decisions - patriotic funds

Skip listen and sharing tools

Anyone affected by a decision of the Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria can apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a review of the decision.

After reviewing a decision, the tribunal can: 

  • affirm the decision of the director 
  • vary the decision of the director 
  • set aside the decision of the director and make another decision in substitution 
  • refer the decision back to the director for re-consideration in accordance with any directions or recommendations of the tribunal.

However, you cannot ask the tribunal to review a decision to: 

  • commence an investigation on a matter 
  • prosecute a person or take other enforcement action 
  • refer a matter to the Magistrates’ Court for a decision (for example, seeking a declaration that a person is ineligible to be a trustee, or to appoint an administrator of a patriotic fund).