Before you lodge a complaint
When to use this form
Use this online form if you need further assistance after being unable to resolve your problem with a business (including Victorian motor car traders and debt collectors) using the information on our website.
Note: We will not be able to take your complaint further if you have not tried to resolve the problem with the business first.
What to include
The more information you give us, the more quickly and accurately we can assess your complaint and give you specific advice for your problem. Please also provide a daytime phone number.
Before you begin this form, make sure you have the following information:
- name and contact number of the business
- name and contact number of the person you dealt with
- business address
- date the problem occurred
- date of purchase
- cost of products and services
- method of purchase (e.g. cash, credit card, EFTPOS).
What happens after you lodge a complaint
When assessing complaints, our focus is to help consumers that are at most risk of harm and to act on issues that have the potential to cause widespread detriment to Victorians.
You will hear from us if:
- you have completed Steps 1 to 3 on Resolve your problem or complaint, and the matter remains unresolved
- we decide the complaint requires our involvement, or is likely to be resolved with our involvement
- there is evidence of the business not complying with our laws
- there is potential the issue may have a broader impact, or cause widespread harm to Victorians
- we are the most appropriate organisation for the issue outlined in your complaint.
You may not hear from us if:
- you have not tried to resolve the matter yourself first
- you have already lodged a complaint with us about this issue and we were unable to resolve it, or we did not accept the complaint
- you have applied to have the matter heard at a tribunal, such as the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), or a court, or the matter has already been through a tribunal or a court.
Lodge a general complaint
Open the complaint form
Note: This form has four stages and you have 20 minutes to complete each stage. Each stage automatically refreshes after 20 minutes and clears all data.