Changing the locks

Skip listen and sharing tools

A landlord must provide locks to secure all external doors and windows of the rented premises. 

The landlord can keep copies of all house keys, but tenants should confirm that the landlord has a spare set when they sign the lease.

If any locks are changed, a key to the new lock must be given to the other party - that is, the landlord or other tenants - as soon as possible.

A tenant must get the landlord’s consent (which cannot be unreasonably withheld) if they want to change a lock. If the tenant believes the landlord is unreasonably withholding consent, they can apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a ruling on the matter.

Rooming house owners are required to take all reasonable steps to ensure a resident's room is secure.

Note: A rooming house is a building where one or more rooms are available to rent, and four or more people in total can occupy those rooms.

Family violence situations

For information on changing the locks in a family violence situation, view our Family violence resources page.

Where to next: