Rooming house resident giving notice of intention to vacate

Skip listen and sharing tools

How to give notice

A rooming house is a building where one or more rooms are available to rent, and four or more people in total can occupy those rooms.

If you are a rooming house resident, you can end an arrangement by mutual agreement with the owner. Agreements should be in writing. Otherwise, if you want to vacate (end the agreement and leave the rooming house), you must give the owner written notice.

You are advised to use the Notice to owner of rooming house (Word, 737KB).

You must deliver this notice to the rooming house owner either by: 

  • post
  • electronic communication (such as email), if the owner has given consent to receive notices and other documents this way, or 
  • hand (giving the notice personally to the owner). If the owner is unavailable, you can leave the notice with a person who appears to be aged over 16 and residing or employed at the owner's usual or last known home or business address.

The written notice of intention to vacate must:

  • be signed by you or your representative
  • allow the correct amount of time to give the notice (see Notice periods below)
  • give the date for you to leave.

If you give notice but do not move out, the owner can apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for an order that you move out. 

If you do not give notice

If you do not give notice or want to end an arrangement earlier than the required notice, you may be liable for rent until the relevant notice period expires or a new resident moves in (whichever is earlier).

If you are on a fixed-term agreement, you may also be liable for other fees and charges. For more information, view the If you do not give notice section of our Tenant giving notice to vacate page.

In cases of severe hardship, VCAT may also end a fixed-term tenancy early.

Final meter readings

If you have separate meters, you should let the utility providers know in advance when you will be moving out. Otherwise, you may be charged for services in the next billing period.

Notice periods

If you are a resident and want to leave your rooming house, the following table shows the minimum notice period you need to give depending on the reason.

Note: from 4 January 2016, Australia Post has introduced three different speeds for mail delivery – express, priority and regular. Allow for mail delivery times which reflect the service you choose when sending a Notice to vacate a rental property.

If the notice is being delivered by mail to a country area, you should factor in an extra two days in addition to standard delivery times.

For more information about postal delivery options and times, visit the Australia Post website.

Visit the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal website to view tables which help calculate the total minimum days to allow, depending on the notice period required and the method of delivery.

Reason for leaving a rooming house

Minimum notice required

The room or rooming house becomes unfit for human habitation or is destroyed to such an extent that it is unsafe.


If you otherwise want to move out of the room.

2 days