Tenant giving notice of intention to vacate

Skip listen and sharing tools

Ways to give notice of your intention to vacate

See new temporary renting rules at Coronavirus (COVID-19) Victoria.

Providing written notice is compulsory and you are advised to use the Notice to landlord of rented premises (Word, 1.9MB)

If you are a tenant and you want to leave your rental property, you can deliver a notice of your intention to vacate to the landlord in one of the following ways:

  • Post –make sure you meet the minimum notice period requirements
  • Electronic communication (such as email) – if the landlord has agreed to receive notices and other documents this way, or
  • Hand (personally giving it to the landlord). If the landlord is unavailable, you can leave the notice with a person who appears to be aged over 16 and residing or employed at the landlord's usual or last known home or business address.

If you give notice but do not leave, the landlord can apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for an order that you move out.

Termination by agreement

Either you or your landlord can negotiate to end a lease at any time. In such cases, we recommend that you put any agreement reached in writing.