Withdrawing a notice of intention to vacate

Skip listen and sharing tools

If you change your mind about ending your lease

If you have given a ‘Notice of intention to vacate’ to your landlord but now want to stay longer or extend the lease, we recommend that you:

  • notify your landlord as soon as possible
  • provide written notice to withdraw the intention to vacate
  • seek the landlord or agent’s agreement in writing.

You may need to negotiate with the landlord over paying any costs caused by you changing your mind – for example, you could offer to pay the cost of advertising for new tenants.

If you can’t reach an agreement

If your landlord does not agree to you withdrawing the notice to vacate, you may take the matter to VCAT for a hearing. For more information, visit the Before you apply - Residential tenancy disputes page on the VCAT website.

If the landlord won’t let you withdraw the notice, and VCAT has not ruled that you can stay longer or extend the lease, you must leave by the date you gave on the notice. If you don’t, your landlord can apply to VCAT for a ‘possession order’. This may lead to you being evicted.

If you are facing eviction

See new temporary renting rules at Coronavirus (COVID-19) Victoria.

You can call us on 1300 55 81 81 or use our Online enquiry form.

You can also contact a tenancy advocacy service such as Tenants Victoria for advice.