Lodging the bond with the RTBA

Skip listen and sharing tools

Rental providers or their property manager must lodge their renter’s bond with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA).

The RTBA is an independent government body that holds bonds in trust during rental agreements.

Bond top ups should also be lodged using this process.

On this page:

Or, find information about claiming the bond, bond payments and amounts or disputes.

Who lodges the bond

Bonds can be lodged with the RTBA by:

  • rental providers
  • property managers, or
  • real estate agents.

Renters cannot lodge their bond themselves.

Lodging a bond

The bond can be lodged online or using a paper form. Only rental providers who are registered with RTBA Online can lodge the bond online.

Once a renter has given their bond money to the rental provider, the rental provider must lodge the bond with the RTBA. Renters will be asked to accept the transaction by email.

Once the bond is lodged, the RTBA will send a receipt to the renter with the bond number. The bond money is held in trust until the bond is claimed.

Keep your bond number somewhere safe. You can use it to search for your bond via RTBA Online.

Using paper forms

Paper forms should only be used in cases where either:

  • a renter does not have an email address
  • a renter is unable to complete an electronic transaction
  • the rental provider themselves is lodging the bond but they cannot register to use RTBA Online.

You can generate a printable PDF bond lodgement form through RTBA Online. See our guide to lodging a bond for instructions. You must then post the form to the RTBA with the payment. This payment must be in Australian dollars as either a cheque from an Australian bank or a money order from Australia Post and made payable to ‘the RTBA’. The postal address is:

Locked Bag 007
Wendouree VIC 3355
Bond receipt and bond receipt/ID number

Rejection of paper forms

If a rental provider or agent fills out the paper bond form incorrectly, they will get a rejection notice outlining the issues and possible remedies.

If the renter provided their mobile phone number on the form, the RTBA will notify them of the rejection by SMS.

Processing time

Once the bond has been lodged it will be processed the same day or within one business day.

Homes Victoria bond loans

Homes Victoria bond loan vouchers should be submitted electronically on RTBA Online by the rental provider or property manager. Instructions are available in our guide for lodging Homes Victoria bonds. See more information about bond loans.

If you do not receive your receipt

Renters should receive their bond receipts within 15 business days from when the bond is lodged. If you do not, call the RTBA on 1300 137 164. Calling this number costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply if you are calling from overseas, on a mobile or payphone.

Checking a transaction

You can view the details and status of a bond transaction on RTBA Online.

Rental providers can register on RTBA Online to view and conduct transactions on bonds registered to them.

Contact the RTBA

You can contact the RTBA on 1300 137 164 or through the enquiries form at RTBA Online.

Forms you might need

Go to RTBA Online to create forms for lodging the bond.