Repairs to communal park facilities

Skip listen and sharing tools

Residents must notify the caravan or residential park operator in writing if they notice communal facilities are damaged or not working.

Problems with communal park facilities are usually the park operator’s responsibility, and must be repaired as soon as possible.

However, if the damage was caused by a resident or their visitor, the resident must either:

  • repair the damage or
  • notify the park operator and pay them compensation for any repairs.

The park operator must provide their contact details to all residents and site tenants in case urgent repairs are needed.

Residents and site tenants should use one of these forms to tell the park operator about communal facilities that are damaged or not working:

The park operator may also be the site owner for site tenants.

When repairing or renovating communal facilities, a park operator must make sure residents are not inconvenienced or disrupted, and that alternative facilities are provided while the works are taking place.

Forms you might need

To tell the park operator about communal facilities that are damaged or not working, use one of these forms:

Renting law reforms

Victoria made significant changes to renting laws in 2021.

One of the major changes to laws about repairing communal park facilities is:

  • park owners must now repair communal facilities as soon as practicable.

You can read about this and other changes in a summary of the reforms or in detailed fact sheets and guides.

Sections of the Act

If you want to know what the law says about repairs to communal park facilities, you can read these sections of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997:

  • Section 173 – Resident must notify owner of caravan and compensate for damage.